Friday, September 9, 2011

The Wolf and The Lamb

I think this is the latest at night I’ve ever posted, but I finally got the baby to bed and momma is on the couch so I have a few minutes to crank one of these out real fast, Firstly what is everyone’s thoughts on Marijuana, or on any type of prohibition? Please leave comments if you would like to add your point of view for either side, Now I definitely should clear this up, personally I do not identify myself as a liberal or a conservative, I do not believe in party lines and feel that they are counter productive to the political process of any country, but back to the topic.i
Personally I don’t support marijuana prohibition because I can’t scientifically see marijuana as being more harmful then alcohol and tobacco, I also view marijuana as a product that if  legalized then properly taxed and regulated would be of great help to our economy, and free up police departments to go after real criminals and reduce our jail population that is a burden to the economy, I also view this in some ways a mostly Christian attack on individual liberties that our founding fathers wouldn’t have agreed with.
Below are a brief summary of the reasons for my above views.

1.                          Marijuana is far safer then alcohol easily by comparison, the therapeutic dose for alcohol is around 8:1 – 15:1, Marijuana is >1000:1 to understand these significance of these numbers, Water is 20:1 – 30:1, I can kill you with water before I could kill you with Marijuana.
2.                            The enforcement of Marijuana law is a burden to our economy in part by the DEA of the United States, in fact after a long string of exposure over their destruction of Marijuana plants consistently showed over 90% of the funds for them going to the destruction of Hemp which is the same plant but lacks the THC needed to get high, the DEA began withholding the Ruderalis statistics.
3.                            States that have legalized marijuana have used the tax revenues to help balance budgets and fund transportation projects, and Texas in fact has a 8.5 cent/gram tax on Marijuana
4.                            Marijuana laws steal people’s lives away, in the United States you can commit murder, rape, robbery, child molestation, and even torture, and still maintain eligibility for FAFSA loans, you get caught with a joint and you lose that eligibility. Is that the kind of message that we want to send to our kids? Also when people have a better education they tend to pay more in taxes which helps the economy.
5.                            Jails are packed these days, and most of them are just people who were caught with a little weed on them, by removing these laws we can free up the over 600,000 imprisoned yearly it cost on average $62 a day to take care of one of them, and most are there from 1-5 years. Which is $37,200,000 yearly.
6.                            As an atheist, I believe the prohibition of marijuana to be a Christian attack on individual liberties that their religion doesn’t agree with, much like blue laws and dry counties for alcohol. But even their bible says their wrong because god couldn’t even prohibit a fruit from being eaten by two people, so one could even say that the bible doesn’t necessarily agree with the concept of prohibition. Most prohibition moments are started by the religious right.
7.                            Our founding fathers built our country with Hemp and Marijuana, George Washington even smoked, so there is proof that Marijuana and society were just fine before the laws were introduced in the 1900’s, the first law in the United States was a law prohibiting failing to grow marijuana, also during WW2 their was the Hemp for Victory videos which were government made films that were denied to exist by the US until 1989.

              So those were just a few of my arguments, when I find something new to post, I will elaborate on those issues more. I left so links below with arguments for and against so that anyone can read up if they have any interest in the issue, but I just realized that my baby needs to eat so I have to go.

Pro Marijuana Reform
Drug War Facts 

Against Marijuana Reform
Christianity and Marijuana

No comments:

Post a Comment